Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Golden Globes 2011!

So... While I was having a great time last night at the Jamaica Blog Awards at the Jamaica Pegasus, over in Tinsel Town, the Golden Globes were in full swing! The stars all came out in their Sunday best, and naturally, I just couldn't wait to go home to see all the fashion from my laptop! Suffice it to say, I was more than a bit disappointed, but hey, I went through all the looks, and decided, as usual, to do a post on the best and worst looks of the night. Here are my choices!

The Good...

Natalie Portman in Viktor & Rolf, accessorised with Tiffany & Co. jewels

Natalie Portman came away a winner even before she won the award for Best Actress, Drama for her spectacular work in Black Swan. I loved the simple wrap-like cut of the gown, the elegant draping, the soft colour against Portman's glowing skin, and the simple but effective flower accent. 

Anne Hathaway in Armani Privé

I love Anne Hathaway, and so it pleases me how much of a fashionista she's turned into over the years. Mark this gorgeous, champagne-coloured gown a major, major moment in her transformation.

Christina Aguilera in Zuhair Murad

I love me some Christina Aguilera, and while I hated her hair here, I really like this gown. The fish-tail works well with her new curvy figure, and the nude tone of the gown accentuated by the lace overlay is the right amount of sexy and appropriate.

Jake Gyllenhaal in Burberry

One can't go wrong with Burberry and thankfully, Jake knows this. I'm not a huge fan of bowties, but the dude rocks the look perfectly. More importantly, the tux is the right length and fit. Oh. And I need those shoes.

Amy Adams in Marchesa

Marchesa isn't for anyone; one needs a certain presence to carry off their gowns. Amy Adams has that presence in spades, jut look at her! I love the colour of the gown, it works well with her pale skin, and the train is tres chic!

Jennifer Lopez in Zuhair Murad, with a Swarovski clutch and Harry Winston jewels. 

When I first saw this look, my mouth fell open a bit. From the make-up to the hair to the shawl to the colour of the dress to the styling to the accessories, this was perrrrrrrrfect! J.Lo has always been a fashion goddess, and really, there's very few who can dispute that. And on the red carpet last night, she proved why she has been for the last decade.

Robert Pattinson in Gucci

Sex icon R-Pat looked awesome here in Gucci. I love his hair cut and fresh-faced look, but moreso, I love the fit of the suit. The skinny tie adds that right amount of rockstar edge to the look, he's in his 20's after all, but the cut of the lapels adds that well-needed sophistication.

 Jennifer Lawrence in Louis Vuitton, with Chopard jewels, a Leiber clutch, and Roger Vivier shoes

As a young star, when attending events like the Globes and the Oscars, it's important to balance looking  young and sexy, but also appropriate for the evening. Wearing a floor length train gown with cascading vertical ruffles and a sweetheart neckline, Jennifer Lawrence wowed! I hope she's nominated for the Oscar just so she'll get the chance to appear on the red carpet again!

The Bad...

Julianne Moore in Lanvin, and Bulgari jewellry

I love Julianne Moore, but I hated this dress. The colour is all wrong for her, and the sleeve just does not work. Lanvin is awesome, but this look just doesn't work.

Halle Berry in Nina Ricci

Halle Berry is such a gorgeous woman, that even if she showed up naked to an event, she would look a hundred times better than most of the those attending. I dunno what's going on with that cheap-looking get-up, but maybe naked she really should have come. Just saying.

Emma Stone in Calvin Klein Collection

*yawn*

Bradd Pitt in Versace and Angelina Jolie in Atelier Versace

Love the colour of Angelina's gown, and the fabric too is nice, but the design of the dress is too matronly. And what the hell is up with Brad looking like a budding Hell's Angels biker? #fail

January Jones in Versace

Really, girl? Really?!

Michelle Williams in Valentino

Ugly hair cut, uglier dress.

Olivia Wilde in Marchesa and Christian Louboutin shoes

*blank stare*

Jeremy Renner in Prada

Jeremy, I like you. Why are you spoiling that?

Eva Longoria in Zac Posen

Love the train, but this is just a safe, boring dress that does nothing for the gorgeous Eva.

Kelly Osbourne in Zac Posen

Strike two for Zac Posen

Sandra Bullock in Jenny Packham

Sandra, just go home. And please, stay there. Please!

Tina Fey in L'Wren Scott

I can't. I will not. And I won't.

Tilda Swinton in Jil Sander

This look is wrong on so many levels, I don't know where to begin, so i'll just refrain all together.

And quite naturally, no red carpet would be complete without a big WTF?!! moment. So, without further ado, the big WTF?!! Moment for the Golden Globes 2011 is...

Helena Bonham Carter in Vivienne Westwood

*sigh* Now, I like Helena, and I like Vivienne Westwood. The actress and designer are quirky enough, that one would think that the two coming together would be a sort of match made in fashion history. Guess again. Now I don't mind the dress, but Helena showed up looking like she rolled out of bed hung-over and didn't even bother to shower before she came. I don't care how many times she was nominated for an award, but someone really should have turned her back at the gate.

1 comment:

  1. U forgot to add Gabourey Sidibe and her Marc Bouwer atrocity to ur worst dressed list ... she looked like an oversized cheetah!!

    ReplyDelete