Monday, October 4, 2010

Prada Spring/Summer 2011

I have to admit that when I first viewed this collection, while I didn't dislike it, I was like "Huh?" After going back to it, I love it. The colours are so refreshing, and only Miuccia Prada would fling together such disparate elements (nurse's gown, Chiquita Banana, religious iconography, prisoner's uniforms) in such a madcap manner.


Along with the sombreros and flora-fauna prints, a pair of dresses with Carmen Miranda silhouettes heightened the suggestion of south-of-the-border festiveness. But the clothes were plenty urbane, too. In fact, the more cautious among Prada devotees will find plenty of chic black looks from which to choose. And this was precisely the reason why I liked the collection- despite all the OTT cartoonish-ness, the pieces, even if one was so inclined to take all the looks apart, are quite wearable.


"I'm tired of minimalism," Prada is noted to have said before her show in an interview. "I asked myself, 'How can I do minimal Baroque?'" Her answer? Simple shapes, explosive color and multiple patterns including monkeys and bananas by the bushel. Prada also loves seemingly plain-cut clothes such as a round-shouldered, stiff T-and-skirt combo; a curvy flight attendant suit; a slipdress. Only they came, respectively, in the previously noted pattern play, paired with a giant striped sombrero, and cut in a newly loosened shape.


No comments:

Post a Comment